The estimated population in Barton as of 2011 census was 1,183 and the post code of this region is 2600. The suburb was established in the year 1922 and gazetted in the year 1928.
The land area of this suburb covers only 2.25 km2. The suburbs which are surrounded by Barton are Parkes to the north-west, Capital Hill to the west, Forrest to the south and Kingston to the east.
The suburb primarily has the government and national institutions, as well as few commercial areas such as shops. In addition, the suburb has St Mark’s National Theological Centre, hospice, Telopea Park School and The Australian Federal Police College.For recreation purposes, the suburb has few parks, which include Telopea Park, York Park, Bowen Park and Grevillea Park.
The residents of this suburb prefer this following educational institutions and college: Forrest Primary, Telopea Park School, Narrabundah College.